Chi Omega date party, April 2003August is a special month for us – it’s when we first met and first started “dating.” This month, we’ll divide our posts into three topics – How we met, and B.C. and A.C. (Before Chicago and After Chicago).
And this folks is how the magic happened…
Once upon a time it was August 20, 2001. West Virginia University had just started its fall semester. Blues Traveler was headlining the ever popular Fall Fest concert and Rich Rodriquez was about to begin his first season as the head football coach for the Mountaineers.

This was the day that we first met in the Walt Babcock Room of the Coliseum – the spaceship-looking concrete structure that houses the WVU hoops teams and athletic department offices. Both of us were starting our first year as student interns in the Sports Communications department.
During the 2001-02 school year, we maintained a working relationship and witnessed a lot of interesting things at work, including:
· Brandi & Brady were both in the office when the tragic events of September 11th took place. In fact, Brandi didn’t have a car at school at that time, so Brady drove her home after office hours.
· On Brady’s 21st birthday, he received a shout out on the big screen at Mountaineer Field where the WVU Football team beat Rutgers 80-7. Brandi remembers this day because she was really, really hungover and the game seemed to last really, really long. Richy Rod led the Mountaineers to a 3-8 overall season (1-6 in the BIG EAST).
· We witness Gale Catlett’s last year as head basketball coach. The school then hired Dan D., which lasted two days, but Brady can say he was at that press conference (Brandi had class).
Brandi & Brady both returned to the Sports Communications department for a second year in 2002-03. This would be Brandi’s last, as she miraculously made it through WVU in four years – (Brady, not wanting to leave the party too early, was on the five-year plan in Motown). This is the year the “magic” happened.
Brandi Describes the Magic
I never really looked at Brady as more than a co-worker. My roommates will tell you different because I would always come home and the conversation would be “Brady did this today” or “Brady said this.” They suspected a crush, but other than Megan, a fellow sports comm intern and Chi-Omega sister, none of the roommies had met Brady.
I really can’t explain how Brady and I got together. He likes to say that I couldn’t resist his tan from his spring break trip to Jamaica, but anyone who knows Brady well, knows that he doesn’t tan, therefore, it wasn’t the tan.
One day at work, Brady asked what I was doing that night and I told him that we would eventually end up at Bent Willy’s because…well, that’s what we did every night. Brady met me out at the bar and we realized that we knew some of each other’s friends. I lived in the same dorm as Gene and Hiles from Mainland and Brady knew my best friend Bubba. After one too many Coors Lights, we invited the New Jersey boys back to 408 Forrest (above) and the rest is history.
So for me, the magic was Coors Light.
Brady Describes The Magic
First of all – I was definitely tan and yes, she dug it. A lot.
But Brandi’s right, this was certainly not a “love at first sight” affair. We had worked together and I thought Brandi was just another sorority girl obsessed with frat dudes and “date parties.” That spring semester though, I talked to Brandi a lot more at work and started to realize that there was more substance to her than I expected. Funny enough – and this is a memory I’m sure of but she doesn’t recall – I even alluded to one day marrying her, jokingly, a few times at work. Who knew I was such a Nostradamus?
I won’t get into too many details of that fateful spring evening at Bent Willey’s because, well, quite frankly I don’t remember much.
So – in review, I think the initial “magic” was a combination of several factors … my undeniable charm … a couple years of getting to know each other at work … beer, lots of beer … a little egging on from my friends and Brandi’s roommates. But, it was probably just my tan.
And this folks is how the magic happened…
Once upon a time it was August 20, 2001. West Virginia University had just started its fall semester. Blues Traveler was headlining the ever popular Fall Fest concert and Rich Rodriquez was about to begin his first season as the head football coach for the Mountaineers.

This was the day that we first met in the Walt Babcock Room of the Coliseum – the spaceship-looking concrete structure that houses the WVU hoops teams and athletic department offices. Both of us were starting our first year as student interns in the Sports Communications department.
During the 2001-02 school year, we maintained a working relationship and witnessed a lot of interesting things at work, including:
· Brandi & Brady were both in the office when the tragic events of September 11th took place. In fact, Brandi didn’t have a car at school at that time, so Brady drove her home after office hours.
· On Brady’s 21st birthday, he received a shout out on the big screen at Mountaineer Field where the WVU Football team beat Rutgers 80-7. Brandi remembers this day because she was really, really hungover and the game seemed to last really, really long. Richy Rod led the Mountaineers to a 3-8 overall season (1-6 in the BIG EAST).
· We witness Gale Catlett’s last year as head basketball coach. The school then hired Dan D., which lasted two days, but Brady can say he was at that press conference (Brandi had class).
Brandi & Brady both returned to the Sports Communications department for a second year in 2002-03. This would be Brandi’s last, as she miraculously made it through WVU in four years – (Brady, not wanting to leave the party too early, was on the five-year plan in Motown). This is the year the “magic” happened.
Brandi Describes the Magic
I never really looked at Brady as more than a co-worker. My roommates will tell you different because I would always come home and the conversation would be “Brady did this today” or “Brady said this.” They suspected a crush, but other than Megan, a fellow sports comm intern and Chi-Omega sister, none of the roommies had met Brady.

I really can’t explain how Brady and I got together. He likes to say that I couldn’t resist his tan from his spring break trip to Jamaica, but anyone who knows Brady well, knows that he doesn’t tan, therefore, it wasn’t the tan.
One day at work, Brady asked what I was doing that night and I told him that we would eventually end up at Bent Willy’s because…well, that’s what we did every night. Brady met me out at the bar and we realized that we knew some of each other’s friends. I lived in the same dorm as Gene and Hiles from Mainland and Brady knew my best friend Bubba. After one too many Coors Lights, we invited the New Jersey boys back to 408 Forrest (above) and the rest is history.
So for me, the magic was Coors Light.
Brady Describes The Magic
First of all – I was definitely tan and yes, she dug it. A lot.
But Brandi’s right, this was certainly not a “love at first sight” affair. We had worked together and I thought Brandi was just another sorority girl obsessed with frat dudes and “date parties.” That spring semester though, I talked to Brandi a lot more at work and started to realize that there was more substance to her than I expected. Funny enough – and this is a memory I’m sure of but she doesn’t recall – I even alluded to one day marrying her, jokingly, a few times at work. Who knew I was such a Nostradamus?

I won’t get into too many details of that fateful spring evening at Bent Willey’s because, well, quite frankly I don’t remember much.
So – in review, I think the initial “magic” was a combination of several factors … my undeniable charm … a couple years of getting to know each other at work … beer, lots of beer … a little egging on from my friends and Brandi’s roommates. But, it was probably just my tan.
No comments:
Post a Comment